Thursday

21) Wrong Book

The story continues to go around the office and grows with the embellishments of each teller, as if it had happened before a crowd. The book with which I hit Hunter even has a title--The Virgin's Lover--that I think is actually correct. But I did not make Hunter's nose bleed, and he did not provoke me. People are talking to me, if only to verify details (is anyone at work still reading the blog?), nearly all of which I must refute. I admit that it is with no little regret that I do this, but when I can I pass it off as humility. Several times, I have found May looking at me. Sometimes she smiles, sometimes she looks quickly away again. I never look away anymore. I am tired of being afraid of my feelings. I want to do something about them.

Of course, Hunter can not be avoided, but he himself has made it easier by avoiding me. Our coworkers have not rallied around the victim of my assault, and even Neil's quiet resentment of Hunter has yielded to bold taunts.

"Hey, Hunter?" he said today, approaching him at his desk with a book, inspecting its cover closely. Hunter answered with sharp corners, "Yes?"

"There's a stain on this book maybe you could help me identify."

"Why would I--"

"Oh, wait. Never mind. I know what it is." He spun the book upright and facing Hunter.

I did not know what Neil was doing, and I was curious of this stain. "What is it?"

Hunter said, "Neil," as much like a threat as a name could be.

Neil turned to display the book to me--Philippa Gregory--and cocked his head imploringly. I glanced past him at May in profile at the discharge counter.

"Wrong book," I said.

May had likely heard none of this exchange over the busy book-return machine--at least she had not turned from her work--but Neil's bark of laughter swivelled her full-face as Hunter rocketed from his chair, a missile launched at Neil. But the chair fell backwards to the floor, sticking out its legs, entangling Hunter's and dropping him hard at Neil's toes.

Even the book return seemed shocked to silence. May rose from her station. Hunter pushed himself slowly and unsteadily to his knees. A string of blood from his nose thinned and broke as he rose, leaving a pool to soak into the carpet. May ran to the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment